Thursday, July 10, 2014
Update from ICWJ regarding Immigrant Children Relief
--UPDATE from ICWJ--
First and foremost, thank you for the outpouring of “stuff” that was donated during this week! See a few of the photos in this email. WOW!!!!! What a tribute of love and compassion. Your donations are being dispensed to refugee families now and will continue to be as long as there is a need. We cannot thank you enough!
There are a very few items that are still needed if you would like to make a donation:
1. Women’s underwear of all sizes (NEW ONLY)
2. Women’s socks of all sizes (NEW ONLY)
3. Feminine Hygiene Products
You can bring these items to our ICWJ offices, 3758 30th Street, San Diego, 92104. Some of us are in the office between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. on weekdays. To be sure, give us a call before you come, 619-584-5740.
If you have collected other items, please bring them this Saturday, July 12th to the fabulous Fiesta Del Sol from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. - in Barrio Logan on Logan Avenue between Cesar Chavez Parkway & South 26th Street.
Secondly , we are working with government agencies to provide support and comfort to the families who are arriving in San Diego County. We have NO unaccompanied children arriving here . All those who are coming to our region will be families. More than 90% of the families are being reunited with family members already living in the states, mostly in the Eastern and Southeastern part of the country. The stateside families are so excited to get the call from their relatives and are arranging transportation for them right away!
We are in need of two things right now.
1. Volunteers who can help transport families to the bus station on their way to reunite with family. If you have some time and would like to volunteer, please email us at Elizabeth@ICWJ.org. Send us your name, phone number, and email address. Spanish speakers are heartily invited and non-Spanish speakers are great as well.
2. We are seeking people who can host a family for up to 10 days. If you have a room with access to a bathroom, a guest house, granny flat, or basement apartment and are willing to host a family for three to ten days, please contact RabbiLaurie@ICWJ.org.
We will continue to stay in touch about how we can support the families that are coming through “America’s Finest City!”. Your outpouring of concern and support helps to relieve the humanitarian crisis!
Thank you and blessings,
Rabbi Laurie, Lisa, and your ICWJ staff
Posted by Anonymous at 12:29 PM