From the Newsom campaign:
April 6, 2010
GAVIN NEWSOM ANNOUNCES ENDORSEMENT OF SENATOR DIANNE FEINSTEIN
Two-term Mayor of San Francisco Newsom endorsed for LG today by California's Senior Senator Dianne Feinstein
San Francisco, CA -- The Gavin Newsom for Lieutenant Governor campaign announced today the endorsement of California's senior Senator Dianne Feinstein. Feinstein was elected to the Senate in 1992, and she was Mayor of San Francisco for two terms.
"I'm proud and honored by Senator Feinstein's endorsement of my campaign for Lieutenant Governor," said Newsom. "As the first woman to serve as Mayor of San Francisco and the first woman elected to the U.S. Senate from California, Dianne Feinstein has been a trailblazer and a passionate advocate for Californians. Her tremendous accomplishments in environmental protection, public health, and safety have benefitted us all."
"Mayor Newsom's stellar record in my hometown of San Francisco proves his drive for innovative reform, smart budgeting in tough times, and his commitment to ensuring health and prosperity for every Californian," said Senator Feinstein. "We need his kind of solutions-based leadership in Sacramento more than ever to fulfill the promise of our great state."
Senator Feinstein joins the large and increasing number of key California leaders who endorse Mayor Newsom, including:
· U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi
· State Senate President Darrell Steinberg
· Assembly Speaker John Pérez
· U.S. Representatives Mike Thompson, Judy Chu, Anna Eshoo, and Bob Filner
· State Senate Majority Leader Dean Florez
· State Senator Alex Padilla, Campaign Co-Chair
· State Senator Elaine Alquist
· State Senator Ellen Corbett
· State Senator Mark Leno
· State Assemblymember Mary Hayashi
· State Assemblymember Jerry Hill
· State Assemblymember Jared Huffman
· State Assemblymember Ira Ruskin
· State Assemblymember Sandré R. Swanson
· Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson
· Former Assembly Speaker Robert Hertzberg
· Former Lieutenant Governor and Assembly Speaker Cruz Bustamante
· Former State Senator and State Party Chairman Art Torres
Leading labor organization endorsing Newsom include: the United Farm Workers (UFW), the California Teachers Association (CTA), the California Nurses Association (CNA), United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) Western State Council, and Northern California Carpenters Regional Council.