Garrick has apologized for his actions, which was the right thing to do and some don't do, we do not yet know his fines and sentencing, but looking over some of his past legislation votes it should give us an idea of what he would do as a judge on his case.
- In 2007-2008 session he sponsored legislation AB 1385 increasing the penalties for riding a motorized scooter with fines and even 6 months of jail time.
- In 2007-2008 session he sponsored legislation AB 1882, which would seek to notify ICE of an undocumented immigrant. He wrote in his analysis about an incident of an undocumented immigrant driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.016, double the legal level. He reference the danger of those caught with DUI and repeating themselves.
- In 2011-2012 session on June 6th (9-days before he was arrested for a DUI) he opposed AB 520, which would allow possible lesser sentencing for DUI with non-aggravated factors. Garrick didn't support lesser imprisonment sentencing for DUI cases.
- In 2009-2010 session he supported AB 91 a three-county pilot program that requires a person convicted of a DUI installing an ignition interlock device and depending on the person's income they paid for the device. While San Diego is not a test pilot county, but Sacramento is a test pilot county.
- In 2007-2008 session he supported AB 1487 lowing the blood alcohol level of 0.20 percent to 0.015 percent requirement to attend a 9-month Drinker Driver Treatment Program.